“A performance by Esfahani would be something to treasure.” The Times
“One of today’s most thrilling harpsichordists” according to Gramophone Magazine, Mahan Esfahani returns to Hong Kong with one of his most sought-after programmes – Bach’s The Art of Fugue.
Following his extremely well-received performances in Hong Kong for Premiere Performances in 2019 (with violinist Jennifer Pike) and 2020 (in the Brandenburg Concertos), we are thrilled to finally bring Mahan Esfahani for his first solo recital in Hong Kong!
Esfahani is the first and only harpsichordist to be a BBC New Generation Artist (2008-2010), a Borletti-Buitoni prize winner (2009), a nominee for Gramophone’s Artist of the Year (2014, 2015, 2017), and on the shortlist as Instrumentalist of the Year for the Royal Philharmonic Society Awards (2013, 2019).
The Art of Fugue is a showcase of Bach’s compositional genius, and encapsulates all of Bach’s discoveries and achievements on a single musical subject. Mahan Esfahani will be bringing this programme direct from his recital at Wigmore Hall (London), where he also received the Wigmore Hall Medal, which recognises major international artists and significant figures in the classical music world.
The Art of Fugue, BWV 1080
Pre-Concert Podcast with Mahan Esfahani
Pre-Concert Zoom Chat with Mahan Esfahani
Before the concert, Mahan Esfahan will be joining our audience in a Zoom chat decoding this work of genius by J. S. Bach. The Art of Fugue is a showcase of Bach’s compositional prowess, and encapsulates all of Bach’s discoveries and achievements on a single musical subject. The award-winning harpsichordist will surely provide unique insights into this masterpiece.
Date:19 Sep 2022 (Mon) 21:30 (HKT)
Guest: Mahan Esfahani
Moderators: Stephen Hung, Kilian Chan
The Zoom chat is organised by Aura Music.
- Latecomers will only be allowed to sit at the back of the hall.
- The performance venue is listed as a vaccine pass premise. Audiences will be required to show their vaccination record upon entering the venue.
- Audiences will be seated according to social-distancing guidelines.
- Audiences must observe the special measures implemented by the venue in response to the COVID-19.
- For ages 6 or above.
- Programme and artists are subject to change. Premiere Performances of Hong Kong reserves the right of decision in case of dispute.